Tuesdays are for Writing


Typewriter planter on chair with quilt

I was thinking about how much I enjoy reading about other people’s days. Do you? I hope so, because I’m going to share some of my days with you over the next few weeks.

We’ll start with Tuesdays since they are my favorite day of the week. I set Tuesdays aside to write most of the day. No loads of laundry. No errands.

Sourdough Toast and Butter on Cutting Board

Morning

The day starts like all my days lately. I wake up at 7:00am. My husband brings me a coffee in bed while a journal for 30 minutes. I recently started setting a timer for my morning journaling because I could spend hours going round and round on the page, ruminating. By setting a timer, I get what I need to release out, but don’t circle down the drain.

After that, I get up and immediately go and exercise for 20 minutes. Right now, I’m loving Pahla B’s workouts. They are quick and meant to be for 50+ women. After the workout, I do a 10-minute mediation and am ready to start to my day.

I dress and shower and then head to breakfast. Breakfast is the only meal I eat alone and I relish it. I make myself a simple breakfast and read a non-fiction book. For some reason, I’ve decided that non-fiction reading is best done in the mornings. On Tuesdays, I usually read a book about the craft of writing. It gets me excited about writing, Right now I’m reading Steering the Craft by Ursula K. LeGuin. I must be careful and remind myself I can only read for 30 minutes in the morning. If I don’t, there’s a good chance I will lose hours in the pages.

It's almost 10am at this point and I have a writing session with my friend and fellow author, C. Jane Reid. We get on Zoom, talk about everything from our kids to writing, and then turn off the video, mute ourselves and start writing. We write for about 45 minutes, come back, check-in on our progess, and then write for another 45 minutes, we close our visit with a final chat. I write my blog posts on Tuesdays and she works on short stories and does some editing.

These writing sessions have been life-changing for me. They have helped me find balance in my week. Knowing I have an appointment to write ensures that I WILL write, and that allows me to relax into my other roles during the week. 

Afternoon

By now, it’s noon and time for lunch. My husband still works from home so he comes downstairs from his office and we have a nice lunch together. I’m told I make good lunches. It’s my superpower. I am a wizard at looking at leftovers and turning them into something new. 

I have to say, I love this time alone with my husband. We talk about our morning, current events, our daughter, and what we’re reading. It took time getting used to having him underfoot during the week but now I know I’ll miss him if/when he gets called back into the office.

After lunch, I go back into my studio and edit what I have written. Then I post it and visit some of my favorite blogs. I leave comments because I know how much that means to bloggers. I also work on doing some sort of marketing of my blog (without social media of course!). I might update my email signature with a link to my blog, link to my blog on Pinterest, or create a promo video on Youtube. I also look for opportunities to write for magazines or other blogs.

By 3pm, it’s time to go get my daughter from school. We talk about her day in the car and often have a snack together. Sometimes, we watch a quick show and chat. I love these times, but more and more often she needs to head upstairs to work on homework or a personal writing project, so our after-school time together is shorter. This was harder to get used to than I thought. While I am glad she’s creating a life for herself, I find I don’t know what to do with myself! Lately, I’ve been picking up a book of fiction for a quick read before I need to start making dinner. This week I’m reading Apples Never Fall by Liane Moriarty. 

Evening

Then dinner. We eat early. I usually have a portion of the meal prepared from Monday’s “kitchen hours” (I’ll share my Monday schedule soon!), so it only takes me 30 minutes or less to get the meal on the table. Tonight, we’re having Turkey Tacos with sweet potatoes and caramelized onions added to the tacos instead of the usual lettuce and tomatoes. I prepared the potatoes and onions yesterday, so I’ll just need to make the taco meat tonight.

After dinner is the piece of the puzzle that I haven’t quite figured out yet. I wish I could tell you I was as productive as I was the rest of the day, but I’m not. I have from around 7-11pm to fill and I generally waste much of it arguing with myself about what I should do. Part of me is tired and wants to sit in front of the television, while the other part of me thinks I should do something more productive like take an online class or clean the house. The television lover in me usually wins. Right now, I’m watching Ray Donovan and The Affair on Showtime. If anyone has any advice on how to get out of this television habit, please share! I feel like I’m going to look back at these hours when I’m old and decrepit and regret that I didn’t do something more adventurous. But goodness, it’s hard to get over that desire to collapse onto the couch at the end of the day, isn’t it?

It sounds like a pack a lot into my day but don’t be fooled. This a best-case scenario day. Sometimes my energy levels don’t meet my desires to keep this schedule. I’ve been known to spend an afternoon crashed in front of the television, watching The Tender Bar, because I was “doing research” about memoirs.

Finally, let’s not compare. My day, to a woman in the thick of raising children, working full-time, and/or caring for elderly parents, might sound magical. I am very thankful that I am in this place in my life. My only goal in sharing this day in my life is to tell you how I spend my days and tell you about what I am writing, reading, cooking, and watching. Now I want to hear about your day. Tell me about your Tuesday in the comments or write a blog post about it then leave the link. 

Note: The typewriter planter in the photo is from Allen Design Studio.

 

Comments

  1. What a nice Tuesday! Mine was a blur and it's only Wednesday. Ha.

    Let's see, breakfast, journaling, reading, laundry, dishes, school run, walking dogs, bill paying, grocery shopping, texting with family, baking cookies, school run, walking with hubby in the late afternoon, dinner with family, and then being so tired that I'm happy to lay down and watch America's Test Kitchen, Martha Stewart and/or gardening videos. I knit on a vest I'm making my daughter for a bit while watching. I'm sure I've forgotten things too.

    I think it's a good thing to not always be productive. We need to rest. Today school is closed due to snow and I'm happy to not have to be back and forth to school.

    Thanks for sharing and letting me share too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand what you are saying about the snow days. I love summer vacay for the same reason. Though my daughter is working on her driver's license now, so she'll be driving herself before I know it and I'll likely miss those drives with her.

      Delete
  2. I forgot to mention the author Cathy Rentzenbrink. Have you heard of her book Write It All Down? It seems like one you would be interested in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would that I had your self discipline! I usually don't make it past the door to my studio (aka dining room) and whatever painting I'm working on. The past six weeks I've been recovering from cervical spine surgery so I'm only allowed 30 minutes of painting at a time, including watching my on-line art classes. That should be changing soon and I will be back to the gym at 7 on Tuesday mornings. I love the idea of setting a writing appointment with a friend. Maybe that will kick start me to finish one of the books I've been working on for years. Thanks for sharing your day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love hearing how others spend their days. I get ideas for how I might tweak my schedule, or something to add that I haven't thought of. I'm definitely gonna look into the exercise program on YouTube! Thanks for sharing your day with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also like Fabulous 50s on Youtube for workouts.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing your day! And thank you for sharing the link to Allen Design Studio - I see a sewing machine planter in the shop that is calling to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your day sounds wonderful. I think some nights should be for lazing and watching the tv. I have sometimes started at noon. I call it lunch club. It use to be with my daughter's cat, Burton. I'd fix my lunch and park in front of the tv with TCM and Burton sleeping beside me. There were times I'd watch movies until my daughter got home from work and we'd start dinner. It was too hard some days to do anything else. Now that my sons have had to move back home my days are different.
      Tuesday mornings I roll out of bed and get breakfast for my daughter and I. She leaves for work at 11am but we enjoy that time together. We plan dinner or her stopping at the store on her way home. My one son gets up and then there is a pinball action between my daughter and him getting ready for work. He works from home too. I try and stay out of the way so I might be in my pjs until 10am and after. Then I shower and get my day going.
      Tuesdays use to be Open Studio time at my studio. Then I closed the studio but we still have open studio time via zoom. It was anywhere from 1-5 people but as this past 1 1/2 years goes there are less and less. I have cut them back to every other week. After open studio I get my lunch and work on cleaning out my emails or creating if I have a thing going on. On my totally free Tuesday I do whatever I want. I work on taking photos of my cards for my Etsy shop, clean out emails again, or create something. I really enjoy slow stitching and I'm taking a class from https://www.emmafreemandesigns.com/ The class is Meditation Books. I have 5 of them going and I'm having a lot of fun. I will sometimes work on those in the evening. The tv is on but I'm stitching. It is a hard thing to not watch tv in the evenings. Sometimes I feel guilty also. But I try and not let that get me down. There is always tomorrow.

      Delete
    2. Michelle-I love Allen Design Studios. They have such whimsical stuff. Michelle Allen is also a fine artist. You might want to check her out. https://michelleallenart.com/

      Delete
    3. Aleta-I love the idea of Lunch Club. TCM is the only channel I miss now that we have unplugged from cable.

      Delete
  6. Hi, Laura! What a lovely day! Recognized that planter right away. I'm trying to decide which of her pieces I need to have. I need a clock in my studio so I'm thinking I'll have to pick one out (but which one! hahah). The patchwork piece behind it a chair cover? Did you make it? It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The quilt on the chair is an unfinished, string quilt I made about 10 years ago!

      Delete
  7. You are motivating me to work on my morning rituals. What I would like to do to wake up, get a glass of water and take some medications, doodle a bit and one of my small books while making sure the boy is getting ready for school, then either take a walk or garden if the weather allows for it. And then write or edit or work on the business of updating keywords and that sort of thing.

    What my day currently looks like is dragging myself out of bed after playing around with email, nagging the boy to get up and moving, playing my Skip-bo app until he gets off to school, then listening to podcasts while I play more Skip-Bo app. Then maybe I'll get around to getting dressed and the entire time nagging myself to sit down and work on writing or editing or the business end of it. I obviously need to work on myself motivation in a big way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be hard on yourself. We all have seasons when we struggle to get a morning ritual. I had one that worked, then didn't, and now this one seems to be working. For now. Honestly, you have one. If you looked at what you are doing and called it your morning ritual, would it feel differently? Maybe just changing your feelings about it will turn what you are already doing into a positive way to start the day-which may lead to gardening and doodling, and writing AFTER your Skip-bo app ritual.

      Delete
    2. I love the idea of just dubbing my mornings a ritual. I think I could actively change it to suit me better.

      And yes, I am now writing after my Skip-bo app ritual. :-)

      Delete
  8. I have been realizing that I need to be way more intentional with my days. Your day sounds dreamy and I love the way you set up your writing date!
    (Also my husband worked on both of those tv shows. ❤️)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts