A Seattle Travel Guide for Writers, Readers, and Artists

Travel Journal of Seattle, Washington

Now that the world is opening up a little again, are you making vacation plans? I am so ready to start really traveling again! I get a lot of inspiration when I travel and always come home refreshed and filled with new creative ideas. 

Last month, we traveled to Seattle. It's one of our favorite local vacation spots. It's only a three hour drive from our house so we've made the trip up a few times since we moved here. It holds a special place in my heart because it was my first introduction to my (new) home state. The first time I visited I never imagined I would one day live in this evergreen paradise.

Seattle is different than it was when I first visited. It's grown (maybe too much) but it still has it's charms. If you are looking for a place to vacation this summer, where you can escape the heat, Seattle is a great choice. Here are my recommendations for a visit.

Inspiring Things to See

Fish at Pike's Place Market

Glass Sculpture at Chihuly Museum

Fish at Seattle Aquarium

Glass Sculpture at Chihuly Museum

Glass Sculpture at Chihuly Museum
Burke Museum Display

Burke Museum Display
  • The Space Needle It's a tourist cliche, but you have to do it. We went up in 2017 and I that's when I realized how much the city was growing. So. Many. Construction Cranes.
  • The Chihuly Garden and Glass On my first visit, I wasn't expecting much more than what I saw of Chihuly's glass sculptures in Vegas, but I was wrong! It is a breathtaking display of sculpture but the museum also does a great job of sharing the creative process. I left feeling inspired.
  • Seattle Aquarium I love aquariums, don't you? When I was looking over my Seattle photos it struck me that I bet Chihuly has found sculpture inspiration at this museum. It might be fun to go to both the glass museum and the aquarium in one day and compare and contrast what you see.
  • Museum of Pop Culture If you are traveling with kids, music lovers, or film fans (particularly of  the horror, sci-fi, and fantasy genres) this museum is a must see. 
  • Pike Place Market A fish market by the pier, fishmongers put on a show tossing fish to one another. There's also great stores, handcrafts, and unique food booths.
  • University of Washington Campus This university is known as the "ivy-league of state colleges". You can take tours and see their "Harry Potter Library", cherry trees, and architecture complete with follies (gargoyles without water spouts). The campus is also home to a small but excellent Burke Natural History Museum The displays are so creative and amazing to look at.

Eats

Coffee and danish at Storyville
Pizza at Serious Pie

  • Serious Pie Delicious Pizza. You know I make pizza and when we were having dinner here, I was furiously taking notes from their menu for topping ideas. 
  • Storyville Coffee We stopped here after we all felt incredibly frazzled from the noise and crowds of Pike Place Market. It's across from the market and upstairs. The doors open and the silence washes over you. The coffee and treats are excellent too. The perfect escape for an introvert. As I write this, I'm wishing I could spend an afternoon writing there.
  • If you are driving between the Portland, OR area and Seattle, stop for a meal at La Tarasca in Centralia. It's the most authentic Mexican food around. So authentic that you won't find chips and salsa. But seriously, I'm from Southern California and this is some of the best Mexican food I've ever eaten. 

Can't go to Seattle? Lots of shows and books have been based in and around the area. I'm obviously not the first person to be inspired by this lovely city.

Shows & Movies

  • Snoqualamie Falls. A short drive from Seattle, this is a beautiful waterfall. The lodge at the top was where Twin Peaks was filmed. 
  • Rosyln Washington (outside of Seattle) was the where the show, Northern Exposure, was filmed. Did you love that show as much as I did?
  • Some of the high school scenes in Twilight were filmed in Kalama. A tiny town between Portland and Seattle.
  • Do I even need to remind you that Grey's Anatomy and Fraiser both take place in Seattle?

 Books

  • Where'd You Go Bernadette? by Maria Semple (Also a movie.)
  • Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford (You can visit the Panama Hotel in Seattle, which is the location of the hotel in the book. Be sure to stop in at the teahouse where they have historical artifacts left behind by the Japanese who were sent to the internment camps.)
  • Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah (There's also a Netflix series based on the book.)

Have you been to Seattle or do you live there? Leave travel suggestions in the comments below. 

Do any of these photos spark an idea for a story or other piece of art?

 

 

 


Comments

  1. My husband and I love to visit Seattle, and we've been there several times. I have happy memories of going to a Seahawks game in Nov. 2020 - that blissful time before we knew anything about a pandemic. The Seahawks won, we took a seaplane tour, and visited the Chihuly gardens. So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been many years, but my strongest memory of Seattle is the giant sculpture of a troll under a bridge, holding an actual VW Bug. I hope I didn't dream that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always wanted to see that troll sculpture. I'll have to find out if it still exists!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for taking us along Laura. I'm glad you're traveling again. What other trips do you have planned?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure yet. I know I need to get organized on that!

      Delete
  4. I love getting breakfast at Odd Fellows on Capitol Hill followed by an extended visit to Elliott Bay Bookstore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm putting both these suggestions on my list! I did buy my mom a poetry subscription from Elliot Bay Bookstore in the past, but have never been to the shop itself.

      Delete
  5. Fantastic recommendations! I am definitely adding that Mexican restaurant to our list. My husband’s absolute favorite is the coconut dream buns from Mee Sum Pastry in Pike Place- they are amazing! We stop multiple times every trip. We also loved Chihuly and MoPop. The International Fountain at the Seattle Center is also a favorite stop, especially during the summer.

    We have heard great things about the art museum but haven’t had a chance to check it out. Have you been?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The art museum has been on my list for ages. I will get there eventually!

      Delete
  6. You know, as close as Seattle is, I haven't been to most of these places! When I think of going on a quick vacation I always default to the coast, I forget what a great little trip Seattle is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should go on a retreat to Seattle one of these days!

      Delete
  7. This year, my husband and I might go to Seattle for the first time, so I'm going to save this post. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts