Sketchbook Musings

 

Travel Sketchbook Seattle by Laura Bray

Botantical Wonder Sketchbooks

Sketchbook by Laura Bray

Illustrated Recipe by Laura Bray

Sketchbook for Textile Artist by Laura Bray

Sketchbook by Laura Bray

Stamps in Sketchbook by Laura Bray
    I sometimes wonder what my grandchildren will think if they flip through my sketchbooks? 

    When they pick-up my Botanical Wonder Sketchbook will they see that I was an avid gardener, deeply in love with nature? Will they marvel at my account of almanac-like posts and see a personal account of climate change?

    When they flip through my Recipe Sketchbooks, they will see the Ambrosia recipe I wrote down and illustrated, based on my great-grandmother's recipe. Will they be inspired by notes on our family tradition Taco Nights? Or maybe they will already have Taco Nights and realize where the tradition started.

    When they look at my Artist Sketchbooks, they will see that I designed a line of rubber stamps, based on my love of tea and gardens, and notes for some of my embroidery designs. Will they be inspired to learn how to embroider or explore their own creativity?

    When they look at my Travel Sketchbooks, they will see where I traveled. Maybe they will take my sketchbook with them on their own journey and try to recreate my steps. 

    When they open my Writing Sketchbooks, they will see what inspired me to write the stories I do. Will they write their own?

    While I don't purposely create my sketchbooks to be historical records, they are a medium of memories and I am curious to think of how they will be used in the future. Do you think of this too? Do you keep sketchbooks? 

Learn More:

Comments

  1. What a treat to see your sketchbooks! I especially love seeing them next to the creations they inspired. It was so cool to see your sharing over on Anne's blog as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! I really enjoyed seeing yours on Anne's post as well.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful post, Laura! I love seeing your sketchbooks. Some of them for yet another time (I LOVE those worry dolls!). You are such an inspiration!

    I am not going to have grandchildren, but I do wonder what will happen with my journals and sketchbooks when I am gone. Not to go down that road of worry.

    I hope you will keep creating in your sketchbooks and continue to find inspiration everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've considered donating mine to a local library or historical society if my future generations don't want them

      Delete
  3. Well, isn't this lovely! Gosh, but you are talented. I keep a "line a day" five year journal and sometimes my entries are "it was warm, long walk, baked cookies." So maybe not that exciting or enlightening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of a line a day, but I'm just too chatty!

      Delete
  4. Laura, I love the variety of ways you are keeping track of your days! I especially love your spread with the robin and carrots. Your style is just lovely. It was fun to see how Anne collected such different (yet beautiful) ways that folks document what is important to them. Her blog, along with yours and a few others keep light shining for all of us. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your sweet words. I love the community Anne has built around her blog and artwork.

      Delete
  5. I recently read through my husband's grandmother's line-a-day journal from the 1930s. Even though the updates were "boring" at the time, nearly 100 years later they were fascinating to me. I have no doubt that your grandchildren will have so much fun looking through these. I have many journals and sketchbooks, and I will certainly leave them for my children, but I try not to get to hung up on what they do with them. They've served their purpose for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope Nicole (comment above) sees this comment and realizes how much future generations will appreciate her Line-A-Day journals!

      Delete
  6. Ooh, I love seeing your sketchbooks! You know, I have journals that are for my eyes only (the Unfolding) and journals that I write in that I know will grow and evolve over time and be a "historical record" (my gardening and recipe binders) but I had never considered what would happen to them after I die. Now I'm wondering the same things you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read that, for the private journals,if you donate them to a library, you can specify that they not be opened for a certain number of years-you know-till no one who knew you is still alive.

      Delete
  7. I loved seeing your sketchbook pages and thinking about how they show personality, interests, thoughts for future generations! That is truly inspiring and a great reason to journal!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts