Ghosts of Christmas Past


One of the best Christmas gifts I ever received was a Sindy doll’s dining set from my father’s sister, my Aunt Kathy.

Aunt Kathy always bought my sisters and I the best presents. She had three boys and I think she relished the chance to hit the girl’s section of the toy store. Many of my most beloved gifts were from Aunt Kathy. I mean, she’s the one who bought me The Barbie Beauty Center Styling Head too. Oh, I can still smell it-the plastic, sweet smell. I remember the way the powdery, blue eye shadow glided onto Barbie’s perfect eyelids, smooth as silk. And how her hair, always satin blonde, immediately became tangled, never to be like new again.

But back to Sindy’s dining room set. A creamy, French provincial style. It was made for Sindy dolls but at my house, Barbie took it over. Barbie was kind of priviledged and tended to think the world revolved around her so she often furnished her life from the spoils she stole from other dolls. She took my Jody doll’s dog and, worse, stole the Sunshine Family’s baby in some private adoption scheme. (Those poor hippies didn’t stand a chance against Barbie’s lawyers.) So of course, before Sindy knew it, her dining set was in Barbie’s townhouse.

At the time of my accumulation of these wonders of 1970s toy technology, we lived in a 100-year-old, colonial house in Ohio. The entire third floor was the attic and our playroom. We had one entire half of the space (which means half the footprint of the house!). It had two small windows that cranked open and the biggest lilac-colored throw rug ever. It was freezing cold in the winter and boiling hot the summer and we loved it. It was our domain and my mom rarely trekked up two stories to see what we were doing. When I read classic children’s literature, like The Saturdays, and their playrooms are described, I think about how lucky I was to have such a space as a child as well. We had a small record player and a collection of my parent’s old records as well as some children’s music, so there was often the sound of either The Carpenter’s Greatest Hits or the Mr, Slim Goodbody album wafting down the stairs.

Although huge, the lilac carpet still left a bit of the attic’s wood floor bare. The floor was original to the house and over time, the temperature fluctuations left sizeable gaps between the boards and we often lost small toys in the gaps. So slowly, over time, we lost the entire set of tiny cutlery that came with Sindy’s dining set between the boards. I assume that eventually a later owner of the house finished the attic, and I often wonder what they thought when they pulled up those boards to find a silverware service for twelve, each piece measuring ½ inch, scattered beneath the floor. It was must have looked as though The Borrowers had been living in the attic.

I’d love to hear about some of your favorite Christmas gifts and toys. And, if you want to see more of the contents of our 1970s/1980s attic playroom, I’ve created a pinboard. I’d love to know if you had some of the same toys!

 

Comments

  1. Oh wow, did I ever love reading this. Such a fun post! I always wanted an attic playroom, but never had one. You had the Barbie styling head! Lucky! I just recently wrote about my favourite toys - Cabbage Patch and paper dolls, and I had a few Barbies too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read your post and was very jealous of the dollhouse your grandfather made you. I think we would have loved to been friends when we were little.

      Delete
  2. Oh, this brough back so many memories! My Barbie (whose arm had been gnawed off by my neighbor's dog) was dating "Suntan Eric". His hands had broken off in a rock-climbing accident. I loved sewing clothes for them - basically fabric tubes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That playroom sounds amazing! As a child we had free reign of the basement, but sadly our house doesn't have any of these bonus spaces for my kids to enjoy. I hardly remember any of my Christmas gifts as a child, probably because there wasn't one toy I absolutely had to have. My mom however, who is in her 70s, always wanted an easy bake oven, and still to this day mentions it every Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should get her one for Christmas this year!

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, this brought me right back! Every one of the toys I remember! I vividly remember those Barbie heads and really wanted one. I'm not sure if I or one of my friends had one. I do remember having fun with it, though. Mrs. Beasley was my favorite doll when I was a little girl. ❤️

    I was surprised when you said you were from Ohio. Ohio was also where I was raised! Small world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always wanted a Mrs. Beasley doll. I love the show, Family Affair. I grew up an hour outside of Cleveland. Where are you from?

      Delete
  5. Your attic play room sounds so great. We played in the basement and my mom only ventured down there to do the laundry. I recognize and remember so many of those toys. The Speak and Spell. We had the Sunshine Family dolls. My dad made us a doll house and used scraps of wallpaper to decorate the walls too. My folks still have it in their basement. We had the SAME calculator. I loved my Holly Hobby doll. We weren't allowed to have barbies. We had the toss across. We also had the dolls that taught how to button and tie. I can't remember their names. We had all of the little people sets - like that airplane. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ernie, we got our hamster stuck in that little airplane one year. Yikes!

      Delete
  6. This was such a great post! I love how the hippie family didn't stand a chance against Barbie's lawyers lol. Our current home has an attic as you described and I have always thought it could be a magical place for the kids but sadly they aren't brave enough to make it their own space-maybe someday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they work up the courage! There's nothing like a room of one's own!

      Delete
  7. You brought back such memories for me, Laura. I love your writing. I don't give my parents enough credit, but I remember one year I desperately wanted a big doll that could stand (I think I wanted a younger sibling) and they got me one. They never said "boys don't play with dolls." They got me that doll and took all these photos of me with that doll at Christmas. Happiest of holidays to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a sweet story. I'm glad you got the doll you wanted. I think those dolls were called "walking dolls", right? I had one too.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts