A Year of Food Memoir

Cast iron skillet, fritatta with cheese, prosciutto, tomatoes and avocado
Pancakes with berries and butter and bacon
Cheese and basil pizza 
Last year, when I decided to turn my creative attention to writing memoir, I knew I had to read it as well as write it. Looking at my reading journal, it looks like I read over twelve memoirs, each bringing me a different view on not only life, but also how to write one's personal story. 

This year, I'm turning my attention to food memoir. If you have spent any time reading my old blog, you know that I love to cook and I've played with the idea of writing a cookbook or a food memoir for a long time so I thought it might be fun to read food memoirs and cookbooks this year to get inspired and learn how authors share their lives through food.

Looking at my shelves, I realize that this interest isn't new to me. There's Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain, who single-handedly ruined going out to eat for me. Isabelle Allende's Aphrodite is one of the most sensual books about food I've ever read. MFK Fischer's description of eating an orange that sat on a hot radiator, while living in a post-war, France completely changed the way I experienced eating. Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Mineral began a lifestyle journey that eventually lead me to live in the Pacific Northwest so I could live closer to nature. Not to mention the fact that our weekly pizza nights were lifted right from her pages. Food memoir has and continues to have a profound affect on my life, both in and out of the kitchen.

Over Christmas, I began compiling a list of food memoirs to read this year and am already well into the list. I can't wait to read more. As I do, you will likely see some recipes and food stories pop-up here on the blog. And I'll try to share what I'm reading just in case you feel like joining me on this journey.

In the meantime, I would love to hear any food memoir suggestions you might have for me. And let me know if you want me to make a reading list of food memoirs I've read and want to read. I'm always happy to share my love of books and reading.

Here's what I've been reading:




Comments

  1. I guess I'm not much of a memoir person, I haven't read any of these except Barbara Kingsolver! I know you've probably read An Everlasting Meal, that is one of my favorite food books. I love food history books too, I've got A History of Food in 100 Recipes and Consider the Fork on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll check-out An Everlasting Meal. Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete
  2. I love food memoirs too. This post made me realize I haven't read one in quite a while! The most recent food memoir that I enjoyed was Buttermilk Graffiti by Edward Lee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll check out Buttermilk Graffiti. I like Edward Lee, he has some really interesting philosophies around food and cooking.

      Delete
  3. That's great that you're enjoying food memoirs. Your photos are making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dana, I wish I could cook something for you! Maybe someday!

      Delete
  4. I think I've shared my favorite food memoirs with you before. Have you read Ruth Reichl's other memoirs? They're all so good. I love food fiction, too. I guess I like reading about food (and making and eating it, too). That pizza looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read Tender at the Bone and Garlic and Sapphires by Ruth Reichel.

      Delete
  5. YES! Barbara Kingsolver's is a gem. I recently read Stanley Tucci's "Taste". I also loved An Everlasting Meal, tho not sure I would call it memoir?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, that last comment was mine. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's not memoir, but Peter Mayle's A Year in Provence always makes me hungry. I love memoir and I love food so I'm going to check out those linked books.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts