Discussing resolutions with Jane Austen


 "Why don't you go for more walks in nature?", Jane quietly asked me, her head tilted to the side.

"It's cold and often raining....", I began. Only for her to interrupt me.

"You don't go when it is warm or dry either.", she said tartly, catching me in the tangle of my own words. I could feel her sidle a little closer to me, she a spider, I her prey. Yet, in this case it is the prey who is trying to weave the web. She would let me struggle, stammering excuses, wrapping myself in the web of my own making.

"My feet hurt, I need better shoes.", I claimed.

She lifted her long skirt, stretched out her leg, showing me her handmade kid-leather boots, not an arch-support to be found. She playfully twisted her ankle in circles, eyebrow arching.

Running out of excuses, I changed tact. "I don't go out anymore because my daughter uses my car to get back and forth to school."

She sighed and pointed to her booted feet again. (She would have loved Nancy Sinatra's song, These Boots Were Made for Walking, I think.)

I knew I had lost the argument. I needed to stop flailing around, throwing out excuses.

Sensing my resignation, she went in for the kill. 

An ironic smile flickered across her face as she asked me, "So tell me, how often do you write?"

_____________________________________

How are you doing with your resolutions lately?

Comments

  1. This made me smile, Laura! Indeed, Jane would be tramping around the countryside, in any weather, probably with muddy petticoats like Elizabeth Bennett!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a Jane Austen fan, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this! Did you make the art in the photo? It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh oh. I suspect due to all that ankle exposure, you and Jane might now be betrothed. :) Very clever. And yes, did you make the art in the photo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too funny Sue! And yes, I did make the art.

      Delete
  4. As I too love Jane Austen this made me smile. I am still trying to get my planner together and map my days so I'm not spinning in the wind. That is the only resolution I have secretly committed to. The others are wishes and dreams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with the planner! I wonder if Jane Austen had one?

      Delete
  5. How fun, Laura. I don't really make resolutions, but I do set intentions and try to focus myself. It's usually a multi-month process, figuring it all out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm finding as I get older, it's taking me longer to set my new year's goals and intentions.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts