Snow and Good Books

 

PNW Snow and Amaryllis

Snow in Camas

Snow in Camas WA

Breakfast Teapot

Camas View in Winter

Smitten Kitchen Roast Chicken with Schmaltzy Croutons

Smoked Salmon Breakfast

Winter Garden


Somehow it is March. It doesn’t feel like March because there’s still snow, trying to melt, from the storm we had a week ago. The forecasters lied to us and told us we would get scant snow. Twenty-four hours later we were buried in over a foot. Our yard looks especially beautiful in the snow, so I can’t complain too much. Although, look at the photo of my garden! Then go to this post to see what those raised beds usually look like!

The first winter we lived here, six years ago now, the Portland area had more snow than usual and we were iced and snowed in for almost a week and we thought we would die. When I told the story, I would always joke that I finally understood Johnny in The Shining after being snowed-in with my spouse and kid.

Of course, Covid hit a few years later and we all learned what stir-crazy really feel likes, so last month’s snow and the few days we spent being stuck inside didn’t feel so bad. It was a breeze.

I cooked and baked a lot. Just before I got sick, I went to Powell’s for a book signing with Deb Perelman of Smitten Kitchen fame (I’ve been reading her since the early days of her blog) and got her new cookbook. I think I’ve made more than half the recipes in there already, which is unheard for any of the cookbooks I own. Honestly, I got her first cookbook and we hardly made anything but this is her third cookbook and it is fantastic. Try this recipe for Green Angel Hair Pasta with Garlic Butter to get a taste of what you can expect. 

Besides cooking, I spent our snow days reading. I set the audacious Goodreads goal of reading 65 books this year. I usually blow by my usual goal of 50 books so I thought pushing myself to read a little more might just help me choose to read more and watch less television. Of the books I read last month, I would say these were my favorites:

The Family Chao by Lan Samantha Chang It’s a retelling of The Brothers Karamazov and it was fabulous. The writing was excellent-I especially loved how well the developed all the characters were. And don’t worry if you never read The Brothers Karamazov, I didn’t and I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Though now I’m itching to read it. I''d also like to pick-up another retelling of the story, The Brothers K by David James Duncan that takes place in Camas, WA where I live. Honestly. I do tend to go down the rabbit hole once I like something. One summer, I read almost all the books by E.M. Forester and then watched all the Merchant-Ivory movies based on the books.

I also read The Angel of Rome by Jess Walter. It’s a collection of short stories and I enjoyed everyone of them, but of course, I did have favorites. If you need to save time, read Town and Country and This is the Way the World Ends. Not to spoil it, but I cried when I finished This is the Way the World Ends. It was so bittersweet and hopeful. I think we all need a little hope these days, don’t you?

I have to say it wasn’t just the snow that kept me in. It took me awhile to recover from Covid. While I think I avoided long-Covid, I struggled to get my energy and my brain back to normal.

That’s about all that is happening around here. Thanks to those of you who joined The Story Club. It means a lot to me that you want to read my stories. You can expect the first one to be in your mailbox March 16. If you haven’t signed up yet, feel free to do so here.

How are you? What have you been reading?

Comments

  1. I'm glad you're starting to feel better. You did get a lot of snow! We do too but that's normal around these parts. March is the snowiest month of the year in Calgary.
    Covid is so strange, it can affect people so differently. I think in our society we are just expected to bounce back from any little thing, and it's really absurd. I'm glad you listened to your body and your needs.
    I am reading The Marriage Portrait, and I just finished Girls They Write Songs About, which I absolutely loved. It was a "savour" book. I read it so slowly to absorb every word. I loved it and then I looked at goodreads and there were so many negative comments and reviews, so I closed goodreads, because I didn't want to wreck my warm fuzzy feeling. What I'm saying is it's not a book for everyone, but wow, did it speak to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great book. I'll see about checking it out. I trust your opinion!

      Delete
  2. Hi Laura, those pictures are amazing. And I can’t wait to try the green garlic pasta.
    We had snow here in Claremont. It got everyone excited as they had not seen it in the 90s when it snowed enough to build a small snowman in the front yard.
    Hope you are getting stronger and will be in your garden as soon as the snow melts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sisters said they got snow too. Snow in CA! Is it end times? Ha!

      Delete
  3. Wow! You really did get some snow! OK, here’s my guilty pleasure - I listened to Spare. And I enjoyed it! I think it’s because Harry is actually a good, dynamic narrator, and I’m a sucker for a British accent. Reading the paper book might have been different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I'm all for guilty pleasures. Especially ones that involve a British accent.

      Delete
  4. Getting snowed in with good food and good books sounds lovely. It seems that the more a storm is hyped up around here the less snow we end up getting. There's another that's supposed to be moving in tomorrow night and we'll see if we really get 6-12 inches. Hope you're feeling much better now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The weather reports are pretty unreliable here too. I've been reading a book about checking for weather signs in nature. That seems like it would more reliable these days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally feel you on the note of the slow recovery from Covid, but I’m happy to know you were able to get through it! Also, The Angel of Rome sounds very interesting; I added it to my Goodreads TBR :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be sure to tell me what you thought of the book!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts