The Garden Through the Years-June

This is our sixth year gardening. It's been a journey, every year we learn a little more. The garden has not only taught us how to grow plants, but also how to have patience and hope. It's taught me the healing power of nature. It has helped my husband and I grow our marriage through planning the garden and working side by side. It's inspired me creatively.

Every year, I usually share a monthly update of my garden during the summer months. I'll continue the tradition this year, but I am also planning to share the garden's growth over the past six years. I'll show you what it looked like each month over the years.

Raised bed vegetable garden 2017
We started our garden in 2017, about 10 months after we moved to the Pacific Northwest.  My husband built our raised beds and we put up temporary fencing around the perimeter to keep the deer out. It was cumbersome to get in and out of the garden and it didn't deter the deer or the bunnies. They found a way in regardless.

We grew tomatoes (too many), collards (too much), kale (not enough), cucumbers (failed), peas (perfect until the deer started sampling them), eggplant (failed). We didn't eat out of our garden much that year, but we learned a lot.

Raised garden beds and chairs

 In 2018, we added two small beds. One for a rhubarb plant and one for herbs. We also created a little seating area in the midst of the beds so we could sit in the evenings and enjoy our hard work. That's one of the most important things we learned in gardening-to make time to enjoy it. I don't know about you but sometimes I end up only being in my garden when I'm working on it. Which takes away from the enjoyment of it. Unfortunately, 2018 was a banner year for wasps and we rarely sat in the chairs because the wasps would could to sample our drinks and nibble our snacks.

We took down the perimeter deer netting and wrapped the beds in chicken wire. Which we cumbersome for me because I am a shorty and couldn't reach over the wire to pick the vegetables.

We grew tomatoes, more kale and collards, and some lettuce that year. Sadly, I didn't seem to keep a record of what I planted that year so I don't remember everything. For most of the other years, I can go back to my blog to see garden updates and, in 2020, I began a garden journal. Each year I get a little better about documenting our journey. As I gathered information for this post, I was surprised by how much I enjoy looking back at my past gardens and each year,

Raised beds with deer protection

In 2019 we started to hit our stride. We removed the seating area, and my husband came up with a brilliant way to protect the beds from furry thieves. He created removable frames with chicken wire attached. This allowed me to remove a side so I could reach the plants. 

We grew tomatoes, tons of lettuce, and zucchini (too many). We tried our hand at radishes and carrots. While they weren't incredibly successful, they we successful enough for us to put them on our list to try again. We loved that they were cool weather crops and allowed us to begin eating from our garden early in the season.

Raised vegetable beds

2020 was one of our most successful garden years. We were finally getting the hang of it! We ate tons of radishes and carrots and I began experimenting with growing flowers. After three years, we were seeing how our efforts of organic gardening were starting to take hold. Birds would dig in our soil for worms which I read indicates a healthy soil. The birds were also plucking bugs off our plants for us. We planted calendula to keep the slugs at bay and surrounded our carrots with chives to ward off carrot flies. The pollinators busily did their jobs and word must gotten around because the wildlife in general seemed to increase it's presence in our yard. 

It's a lovely feeling, knowing that you are working in harmony with nature. You don't feel so alone in the world. Which was a good thing, since we were in throes of a historic pandemic.

Garden beds

Oh 2021! Last year, on June 26-30, we had a record-breaking heatwave. Temperatures got to 112 degrees Fahrenheit. A temperature normally unheard of for this area. It was miserable and we saw many of our plants, just starting to bud, fry in the heat and sun. It was heartbreaking. Some things came back, but it wasn't a banner garden year for us. 

But that's like life too, some years are good and some are bad. You just have to look for the little wins in the bad years and enjoy the good ones to their fullest.

Backyard Garden

And just like that, it's 2022. Another challenging year. This time, instead of a heat wave, we've had an unusually cold, cloudy, and wet spring. We've lost plants because they were water logged. Our rhubarb looks horrible as the damp weather resulted in a fungus that required we cut away infected leaves. No rhubarb dream bars or strawberry-rhubarb jam this year. When I was looking over our garden journal, I wrote that we had so much rhubarb last year, I didn't know what to do. What a difference a year makes!

We're trying to grow potatoes this year and so far they are doing great. All the rain is nothing to a crop that normally thrives in Ireland.

But we will continue to work with the weather, make small adjustments and see where Mother Nature takes us. We're forecasted for another heatwave this weekend-fingers crossed it stays below 100! I think, if we truly want to save the climate and the world, everyone should garden. Climate change takes on a whole new meaning when you are so personally affected.

Now, tell me all about your garden.







 


Comments

  1. Last year I only had a couple of kale plants; this year I have an entire bed of kale! And I've already eaten some; it's been cool and rainy here as well and my kale is thriving. I also have seven (SEVEN) zucchini plants, so I guess I'll be over here drowning in zucchini. Six little tomato plants, mostly cherry tomatoes because it's Calgary and we do what we can. My leaf lettuce is not doing as well as I hoped, but it's coming. Maybe it just needs some warmth. One row of carrots, three of peas, and then I have my silly "fun" plants that I expect nothing of - cucumber, and two peppers. Oh! And a Romaine! Gardening is so much fun and I enjoy every minute of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our kale is being eaten by something. I guess we have very health-minded deer here.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed reading about your gardening experiences over the years. I used to have a vegetable garden, but I finally gave up on it a few years ago. My yard is in a "frost belt" with a really short growing season, as well as a bunch of hungry wildlife. The only thing I could actually grow was zucchini! (Funny, the wild creatures were never interested in the zucchini!) Now I just tend to my flowering bushes and trees, which is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you are making your garden work for you. That's really the important thing.

      Delete
  3. I agree! We all should be gardening in any way we can.

    It was fun to see your garden transform over the years.

    I love rhubarb! We were given a bunch this year and I made the most delish strawberry rhubarb crisp. I hope next year yours does better.

    I'll keep my fingers crossed that the temps don't soar too high this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate rhubarb but my daughter and husband are crazy for it. I guess I win this year! Not a stalk to be found.

      Delete
  4. I love your update through the past few years. I just started a garden this year. I have one bed that is just flowers. The other one is snap peas that sadly have a fungus. I also have lettuce in there and some poppies that somehow found their way in there when I scattered seeds. The other bed that is very tall has zucchini, cherry tomatoes, and bell peppers. The zucchini was to be only 2 plants but I think one sunk in with the other ones so 3 are way too many.
    I'm glad you mentioned a garden journal. I can see now how that will help me for next year. I need to say that some of my seed packets were outdated but so many came up I am so surprised. I have another small raised bed that has herbs in it and fight with the squirrels so I put a netting over it but now the herbs are not doing too well.
    Thank you again for your insites. And as always a wonderful blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend a garden journal. As an artist I bet yours could be very beautiful as well as being a record of your garden.

      Delete
  5. We made a major change to our container garden this year with the use of livestock water troughs in addition to some containers we've had for 8 years. I had read that Azomite, a ground up powdered rock added essential minerals to container and raised beds. Our garden is better than ever because of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to get some of those troughs to expand my herb garden. Thanks for the tip about the Azomite! I'll look for it.

      Delete
  6. Ohh love to read all your gardening adventure. I have a small garden mainly with flowers and some fruit trees (they grow in a very small strip of soil). For the heat if you know it in advance you can buy some cheap large sun umbrellas (I use one to protect hydrangea). You can store them and use for many years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip on the sun umbrellas! Our friends put a tarp over there garden last year but the umbrellas sound like a prettier and easier option.

      Delete
  7. "Everyone should garden" - I couldn't agree more! I just posted something very similar myself. So interesting to see how your garden has evolved over the years too.

    Calendula as slug-deterrent you say...I will look out for this. I read somewhere that they dislike marigolds so I planted a few in strategic spots this year. My slugs clearly haven't had the marigold memo and they devoured several of them whole in a contemptuous show of strength...almost as bad as the infamous 2021 Courgette Incident, where they commando crawled over a protective circle of scratchy wool pellets to feast upon two young courgette plants, leaving just a hole where the stems had been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. Now that you say it, maybe I'm mixing up Calendula and marigolds. I do know we have had both surrounding our beds and have not had a slug problem in our garden. Sounds like you have some superpowered slugs. I wouldn't want to meet up with one of those in a dark garden. Ha!

      Delete
  8. I just loved seeing your garden through the years! My garden is still waiting to flourish this year as I grew a lot of cut flower plants from seed and we had some cooler weather the past few weeks. The plants are doing wonderfully and the cool weather brought the snapdragons back in full glory so that was nice. I am hoping to share some photos soon. My poppy garden is full of buds and I can't wait for them to open!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My snapdragons are doing great as well. I LOVE them!

      Delete
  9. Isn't it great how every year is a learning experience? I used to grow lots of vegetables, but this year I started my flower farm and so turned everything over to flowers. Although I've been gardening for a long time, it's been a huge learning curve trying to time everything correctly and sow successions so that I always have something blooming. There is a lot of planning and spreadsheets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been following your journey as you build your flower garden. I can only imagine all the work you put it into it. Are you familiar with Floret? They have a lot of classes and workshops for small flower farmers.

      Delete
  10. Love seeing and hearing about your garden, Laura. Glad your potatoes are doing well and I hope that other things will find their stride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I spoke too soon. Our potatoes died in the heat wave. We can't seem to win this year!

      Delete
  11. How lovely. I am not a gardener, but I like being friends with gardeners. :) It all looks so lovely and your husband's raised beds with the removable sides are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It pays to have a brilliant husband. You will have to come over and see the garden soon. It's really going now.

      Delete
  12. I have been gardening a long time, both flowers and veggies. This is the worst year in 32 years in this house. Lettuce, hot peppers, and zucchini are doing ok, not great. Tomato plants are tiny. Finally have flowers on the cucumbers. We have noticed we have very few bees. That and the high temperatures are taking their toll. I'm in Illinois.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've noticed fewer bees as well. It's worrying.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts