Hacking My Way Through COVID

 

Tips for recovering from Covid

If you are wondering where I’ve been, the answer is locked in away in my master suite, battling Covid-19. That’s right, I am no longer a card-carrying member of the NOVID crowd. Which is a bitter disappointment as I really was starting to think I had some sort of superhuman immunity to it. But, despite vaccines, mask-wearing, and handwashing I caught it.

My husband and daughter had colds earlier in January. They tested negative for Covid so when I came down with cold-like symptoms, I assumed I caught their colds. I tested negative but a few days later, as I laid in bed shivering and worse than ever, a small voice said I just might want to test again and sure enough I had it. I texted down to my husband and was promptly locked away, like a princess in a tower.

My first thought was that I would spend my isolation writing the next Great American Novel. Or maybe I would use the time to set goals and plan for the new year? But after two days of not being able to focus on anything, I gave up all hope of being productive and gave in to the reality of being sick.

At the ripe old age of 53, I think it might be the first time I stopped struggling against my body’s needs. As a card-carrying member of the Type-A personality club, I always pushed myself when I was sick, never allowing myself to sink completely into the miasma of illness.

But not this time. On one hand, the illness itself made sure I knew who was in charge. The things it was doing to my body made sure that I absolutely could not do anything. Each day, a new symptom would pop-up and I could almost hear my poor, old immune system grinding as it tried to fire up to fight a new battle.

In addition to being physically unable to ignore my illness, I think I have finally gotten to a point where I realize it’s okay to go down for the count. It’s okay to not earn my keep. It’s okay to stay in bed and sleep and watch TV. The world will keep turning. My friends and family will still love me. I was kind of taken by surprise by this new acceptance. I guess that money I spent on therapy and self-help books is finally paying off!

Want to know something else I figured out? Isolation is great if you are mom. I don’t think I’ve done nothing, no housework, no food prep or planning, since I was a child myself. I know I’m privileged and lucky to have a support team that was able to keep things going in my absence, who brought me meals, and kept the home fires burning. I am so grateful to my husband and daughter and the best way to show my gratitude was to accept the help they gave me. Sure I could have masked up and got my own meals, but the best thing to do was to let them drop food at my door until it was safe to be around them. They felt proud and happy to do it for me too.

I was able to safely rejoin the world on Saturday, but a new lesson is emerging for me now-learning to ease back into normal life. While no longer testing positive, all my symptoms aren’t gone yet and I feel like my immune system is completely depleted. So, I am accepting that and moving very slowly. In fact, I have a timer set for an hour to write this, then it’s off to my daily, self-imposed nap. In the past, I would have been in overdrive, trying to catch-up after having so much time off, but that’s only going to lead to relapse or Long-Covid, neither of which I want. Baby steps it is.

Here are my top tips for hacking (literally and figuratively) your way through a COVID-19 infection (or any illness really). Keep in mind that I’m not a doctor, so you know, check with a medical professional before you listen to me.

1.     Remember that your time in isolation does not have to be productive. It’s okay to stare off into space or binge mindless TV. Every part of your system is fighting the infection. Your body AND your mind are involved in getting you better. Try not to work.

2.     Every day symptoms will come and go. It’s a lesson in impermanence. Try not to get attached to feelings about what is happening. There are days when it seems as soon as a new symptom comes on, an old one leaves. Report worrisome symptoms to your doctor but try not to be too anxious. 

3.     Move. I have asthma so I was very careful to do what I needed to do to keep the disease of my lungs. This includes doing a little movement each day, sitting up, rolling over, etc. and doing breathing exercises. After the first few days, I would do a very simple, ten-minute walking video and I would always feel great afterwards. (Again, check with your doctor to see what kind of movement you should implement.) I loved this YouTube channel’s workouts-they were just the right speed and the mother-daughter are darling together-they made me smile. John Hopkins has a nice PDF about things to do to support your body during COVID too.

4.     Practice gratitude, make joy lists. It’s lonely in isolation and the disease itself is scary. Try to stay positive.

5.     Naps are the best.

6.     Texting isn’t enough. Talk on the phone to friends.

7.     Open the windows and let in the fresh air. If the weather allows and the outside air is clean, try to get some fresh air into your space daily. It’s a burst of fresh oxygen and it will really feel good.

8.     Keep a bit of a schedule. While I did immerse myself in rest, I still tried to workout, nap, and eat on a schedule. This helped me stay grounded and the days went by quicker.

9.     Get dressed every day. It may only be into fresh pajamas or loungewear, but it helped me differentiate between day and night and just felt good.

10.  If you feel up to it, make some art. I loved this video by Sandi Hester about creating when you are sick. Again, don’t push it though. Just staring off into space is completely ok too!

Well, this post is longer than I expected-I suppose I had a lot to say after all that time alone. I hope you will keep it in mind in case you get sick-which I very much hope you do not. 

Have you fallen prey to Covid? Did you have any big revelations while you were down and out?

Comments

  1. I'm sorry you got covid. I remember getting the flu for the first time in 2018 and being bedridden for over a week. It was the first time I felt really vulnerable.

    I'm sending you love and healing vibes. 😘

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry that you finally caught it! I haven't had it yet (as far as I know, I'm not a big tester), but my kids have been sick non-stop this winter and they instinctively know how to take it easy. Of course they have no life responsibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you described accepting "it's okay to go down for the count." So true! I hadn't thought about how we know how to do that as a kid and then lose that ability!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are feeling better. It's funny how we (I'm going to say it's primarily a woman thing) believe letting a sickness get the better of us is like a character flaw. We really are hard on ourselves, aren't we?

    Another thoughtful post. Go take a nap!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Laura, I am so sorry you got "it". I hope that it goes and there are no lasting effects. ❤️‍🩹
    I had the flu for weeks and I did give in until I began to feel I was hungry and could eat and then I started to move. It is something I think woman--moms do. We know there are our loved ones that count on us. It is nice when they step up and take care of us.
    Sending good healing energy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry you were sick but happy to hear you are on the mend. It is so important to allow ourselves healing time and your tips are really helpful-especially about changing to help differentiate between day and night-I know it's so easy for days to blur together when you are ill. I am also working on just receiving and it was nice to hear you say how you received the care from your husband and daughter. To receive with gratitude and not think I have to pay it back right away or don't deserve it is a new lesson in my life i am currently working on. Sending lots of love as you are mending.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry you joined our sucky club! I am glad you are taking it easy though. I have had Covid at least once (I suspected I had it a second time, but never tested positive, although I stopped testing at some point.) When I had it the first time no fewer than three friends immediately reached out and told me to take it easy and not to get back to exercise right away. I guess long Covid is associated with doing too much, too soon. So it's a good idea to ease your way back into life. I never isolated away from my family because we have a small house and also, everyone else had it! So I never got to really take the time "off" of things like making meals. But then again, I didn't have a bad case at all. Mostly just fatigue. May your healing continue smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry you got Covid, but I'm so happy that you took good care of yourself and are about through with it. I think I had it when it first came out, but of course, there was no way to know. It was awful, and I've never felt quite the same ever since. Part of that could be from all the stress of that whole time period.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear that Laura. I'm glad you're doing better and taking good care of yourself. Your family is such a blessing. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you've been taking good care of yourself (and that your helpers have, too). As far as I know, I haven't had covid yet, but had two bad bugs this winter. I tried to take it easy for both. I used to push myself when I was sick but not any more. I hope you continue to feel better and better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry to hear you've been sick! I think your list is brilliant, especially #1, 5 & 7. I, too, have been hit by covid this past week after dodging it for 3 years! I thought I would have all this time at home to work on creative projects, but not so -- I simply had to take time to rest, nap and get fresh air (after the 3 days of chills/aches stopped!) I am taking it easy this week, too, as "bouncing" back is not a thing ... I'm easing back, making sure to rest each day. I hope you continue feeling better each day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take care Karen! Sorry to hear you were sick!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts