Skip to main content

The Aging Inner Critic

 

old woman frowning, inner critic

A funny thing happened over the past decade. My inner critic got old.

The last time I really looked at my inner critic, about fifteen years ago, she looked like the identical twin of my high school art teacher. The one who told me that I didn’t have any artistic talent, thus crushing my dreams of becoming a fashion designer. But I looked my inner critic up the other day and discovered that witch got old!

She no longer appears as my high school art teacher but is a completely new character running around in my head messing with me.

She tells me her name is Maude and she’s an old woman of the most crotchety type. Her skin is creped and full of wrinkles, her hair is gray, she is short (like me) and thin (not like me, which, She points out, is because I over-indulge and She doesn’t).

She smells of camphor liniment and the peppermint candies she clicks against her teeth whenever someone (me) says or does something that She doesn’t think is “appropriate”. Tsk.

She wears sagging support hose, sensible shoes she bought at Clark’s thirty years ago, baby blue polyester pants, and thread-bare white blouses. Her cardigan is the color oatmeal. She’s a strong believer that women of a certain age should dress their age and stop dyeing their hair or wearing make-up. The phrase, “Like putting lipstick on a pig.” Is always on the tip of Her tongue, waiting to be unleashed.

She believes in frugality to the point of self-deprivation and that risk taking is for the young. She thinks writing books or making art is a waste of time and, frankly, a little embarrassing. (Who do I think I am anyway?) Please don’t get her started on the idea of memoir writing. She’ll seethe for hours and remind me that nothing very important really ever happened to me.

She makes the inner critics of my past look like pansies.

She claims to be there to protect me. She keeps me from being a red-headed, brash, old woman just like Milly*, the woman from the bus trip through Italy I took with my husband when I was in my early thirties. The woman we could hear talking in the breakfast room one morning as we exited the elevator. She was going on and on about how cold and awful Germans were, as we walked by a business man, legs crossed, snapping his German language newspaper in front of his face. With Maude on my side, I will never become the Milly of the group.

But at what cost? In saving me from becoming someone who embarrasses herself, is Maude also keeping me from being a hell of a lot of fun? (And Milly was FUN when she wasn’t being an ugly American.)

Is Maude keeping me from writing most days? Wearing the clothes I want to wear because I’m afraid I’ll look old and fat? Keeping me from doing unseemly things and encouraging me to bore myself (and likely others) to tears?

Those are the questions I am currently mulling over. Maude loved the pandemic because I was safe and sound inside my house. Other than the occasional Zoom call (when she would sit beside me and point out my double chin on the screen), she didn’t have to remind me to stay in line. But with every step I take back into the world, she’s eyeing me. Right now, she’s still in her rocking chair, knitting away, but I can see her sidelong glances, worried I’m going to start going back out into the world, dressed in a ridiculous outfit of plaid and florals mixed together, wearing perfume and red lipstick (at least I used to wear a mask to cover that up!). She knows her vacation is coming to end.

But I’ve named her now. I know the protection she offers, and I’ll take it into account, but I also know she can play things too safe. I’m ready to stand up to Maude and see what I can do.   

*Name changed.

How about you? Who's your inner critic? Describe them in the comments below. Tell me what they are keeping you from doing.

Comments

  1. My inner critic looks and sounds like my mother. Her voice is sharp and she does a lot of scowling. Some of the things she's keeping me from doing are similar to what you described. I'll look at clothes and hear, "You can't wear That. That's for someone younger/thinner/prettier than you."
    When it comes to my writing, she thinks what I write is silly, so without even critiquing my word choice or sentence structure, she's there with her wet blanket before I even sit down to write. I hadn't thought about that before now, so thanks for this thought-provoking post.
    I think I will do some writing and clothes shopping just to spite her. So there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my previous inner critics looked like a relative too! It happens!

      Delete
  2. This is interesting. I've never really personified my inner critic, it makes sense to do so to help us deal with the critic. I'm currently doing 12 week course of Julia Cameron's Artist's Way and I've managed to separate myself and the "little artist" in me, treating her as my own child. I love this approach, it teaches me to be kind to her when she makes bad art, which is often ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Artist's Way changed my life. I'm so glad you are working through it.

      Delete
  3. My inner critics pop in the guise of people I know and are based on what I am doing in the moment. So if I finding a big mess in the house my inner critic shows up as the person I know who would NEVER let her house get messy like that because she is disciplined, structured and routine-all things I am not an (according to my inner critic) the reason for anything unwanted that ever happens to me. If am short tempered or cranky she shows up at the smiling friend who never let anything get her upset and just let everything roll right off her back. You have really given me something to think about Laura thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My inner critic is an old man. Not sure why that is. Maybe because my father was a perfectionist. The critic use to be my Crazy Maker (from the Artists Way) that was my husband and he was so critical and so stealth about it most of the time I never saw it coming. So this old man that might be my dad is always telling me it’s not perfect and I should just sit and color like a good little girl. He tells me that coloring outside the lines makes me a tramp and that is such a bad thing.
    So when I do go outside the lines I have such a fantastic feeling of creative expression and I get so lost in the art that critic just goes. Where? I don’t know and I don’t care. I just keep trying to go outside the lines so he can’t get to me.
    Thank you for your wonderful post. It really helps to make that critic a person. Makes it easier to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inner critics are such an interesting thing to dig into aren't they?

      Delete
  5. Oh, this hit close to home! I love that you are ready to stand up to Maude and finding humor in her antics is one great way of doing that! If you can laugh at her, she'll go muttering away into her corner. The photo is so great as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle. I was looking for a photo to illustrate this post and came across this stock photo. It was like Maude was staring straight at me!

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you're standing up to Maude. Inner critics are such bullies. I guess haven't really paid much attention to mine. Well, at least I haven't named it. Something to think about. 🤔

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun to name your inner critic. I've never personified mine, but now I'm thinking I might need to.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Roasted Tomatoes and An Empty Nest

          We are in the sunset days of child-rearing. Our daughter is now a busy senior in high school, with a part-time job and driver’s license. Often, there is one less face at the table, one last voice to talk about the day.      Our meals are simpler now as we no longer have to prepare healthy meals to fill a growing body. As my husband and I sit alone at the table we realize our work now is to reconnect with another, make our way back to each other. Back to the days before daughter came into our lives and the hours of our days were filled with feeding and nurturing her.      Now we turn towards nursing our aging bodies which, as it turns out, need much less food than growing bodies. We are moving away from large meals. Often, I place simple meals on the dinner table along with small glasses of wine to remind us that now we can fully sink back into the early days of our marriage.      Only it isn’t l...

Tuesdays are for Writing

I was thinking about how much I enjoy reading about other people’s days. Do you? I hope so, because I’m going to share some of my days with you over the next few weeks. We’ll start with Tuesdays since they are my favorite day of the week. I set Tuesdays aside to write most of the day. No loads of laundry. No errands. Morning The day starts like all my days lately. I wake up at 7:00am. My husband brings me a coffee in bed while a journal for 30 minutes. I recently started setting a timer for my morning journaling because I could spend hours going round and round on the page, ruminating. By setting a timer, I get what I need to release out, but don’t circle down the drain. After that, I get up and immediately go and exercise for 20 minutes. Right now, I’m loving Pahla B’s workouts. They are quick and meant to be for 50+ women. After the workout, I do a 10-minute mediation and am ready to start to my day. I dress and shower and then head to breakfast. Breakfast is the only meal I...

Building a Cookbook Library

I collect cookbooks.  I know I could look-up just about any recipe online, but I can't give up my cookbooks. I love sitting down with a stack of cookbooks and planning a holiday meal or dinner party. Sometimes, if I'm feeling bored or anxious, I'll pull a favorite cookbook off the shelf and just read it. I love the photos. I love to daydream about making the dishes. Sometimes they inspire me so much I get up and bake something. To me, cookbooks are so much better than cooking blogs. Is it just me or have they gotten impossible to navigate? First there's the pop-up ads that always seem to crash the website at the very moment I'm rushing to check how long the brownies are supposed to bake. By the time I reload the website, I have burnt bricks of chocolate. I also hate the long, drawn-out stories before I get to the actual recipe. Don't get me wrong. I love a good story behind a recipe. Heck, when I share my recipes, I usually give you a story. What I hate about mo...

The Garden Through the Years-June

This is our sixth year gardening. It's been a journey, every year we learn a little more. The garden has not only taught us how to grow plants, but also how to have patience and hope. It's taught me the healing power of nature. It has helped my husband and I grow our marriage through planning the garden and working side by side. It's inspired me creatively. Every year, I usually share a monthly update of my garden during the summer months. I'll continue the tradition this year, but I am also planning to share the garden's growth over the past six years. I'll show you what it looked like each month over the years. We started our garden in 2017, about 10 months after we moved to the Pacific Northwest.  My husband built our raised beds and we put up temporary fencing around the perimeter to keep the deer out. It was cumbersome to get in and out of the garden and it didn't deter the deer or the bunnies. They found a way in regardless. We grew tomatoes (too many)...

Curiosity and Experimentation in a Writing Practice

  Experimentation is a big part of my life. When I work on my visual art, I always strive to find new techniques to improve my work and make it more interesting. When I cook, I try new recipes, tweak old ones, and use new ingredients. The list of experiments goes on and on. Now I try to bring that same air of curiosity to my writing practice. My Writing History When I first started writing, many years ago (before computers! gasp!) I wrote my first drafts in longhand, in journals then they would get typed up. Eventually, I moved to a word processor, which allowed for some editing on screens but I usually stuck to handwriting to start. Computers came along and it took me awhile to write directly into a Word document. I think I finally crossed over into writing my drafts electronically around the time my blogging began in earnest. But now, as I’ve begun my journey to take my writing more seriously, and am working on writing an actual book, I’ve found that I have gone back to h...

Sketchbook Musings

       I sometimes wonder what my grandchildren will think if they flip through my sketchbooks?       When they pick-up my Botanical Wonder Sketchbook will they see that I was an avid gardener, deeply in love with nature? Will they marvel at my account of almanac-like posts and see a personal account of climate change?      When they flip through my Recipe Sketchbooks, they will see the Ambrosia recipe I wrote down and illustrated, based on my great-grandmother's recipe. Will they be inspired by notes on our family tradition Taco Nights? Or maybe they will already have Taco Nights and realize where the tradition started.      When they look at my Artist Sketchbooks, they will see that I designed a line of rubber stamps, based on my love of tea and gardens, and notes for some of my embroidery designs. Will they be inspired to learn how to embroider or explore their own creativity?      When they look at...

Finding Your Purpose in Midlife

For the past few years, I have been struggling to figure out what I am going to do with the next stage of my life. I closed my business, and my daughter will be leaving for college in a year and a half. A new season of my life is dawning and I am feeling lost. The last time I felt like this was when my daughter was a toddler. I was winding down my career as a business consultant, looking for ways to live that allowed me to be the primary caregiver for my daughter and still feel fulfilled. It was an uncomfortable time, and I spent the first two years of her life flailing around, trying to find my purpose. The thing that saved me, that set my life back on track all those years ago, was reading The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron . I worked through the twelve-week program and came out of it an artist. It is fair to say that it completely changed my life and served me well for a good fifteen years. Now here I am again, feeling another momentous change is on the horizon and I am unsur...

Melting Reading Watching

Want to know the best way to bring on a heat wave? Blog about the lovely summer weather you are experiencing... Melting A week of heat is just breaking here and I've fallen back out of love with summer. I think I may need to move Iceland if I have any hope of truly embracing the season.  The good thing about being locked up in one's house for a week, fans carefully organized around oneself, air conditioning blasting, is that you get a lot of reading done. Since this is the year that I'm working on becoming a better writer, I've been reading more. I credit the fact that I can write to my insatiable reading habit. If you read any book about the art of writing, reading is usually touted as one of the ways to become a better writer. I patiently explain this concept to my husband and daughter whenever they find me in the middle of the day, draped over a couch, iced tea in hand, reading (instead of doing laundry or making their lunch). I'm working I announce. And I'...

Ghosts of Christmas Past

One of the best Christmas gifts I ever received was a Sindy doll’s dining set from my father’s sister, my Aunt Kathy. Aunt Kathy always bought my sisters and I the best presents. She had three boys and I think she relished the chance to hit the girl’s section of the toy store. Many of my most beloved gifts were from Aunt Kathy. I mean, she’s the one who bought me The Barbie Beauty Center Styling Head too. Oh, I can still smell it-the plastic, sweet smell. I remember the way the powdery, blue eye shadow glided onto Barbie’s perfect eyelids, smooth as silk. And how her hair, always satin blonde, immediately became tangled, never to be like new again. But back to Sindy’s dining room set. A creamy, French provincial style. It was made for Sindy dolls but at my house, Barbie took it over. Barbie was kind of priviledged and tended to think the world revolved around her so she often furnished her life from the spoils she stole from other dolls. She took my Jody doll’s dog and, worse,...

A Seattle Travel Guide for Writers, Readers, and Artists

Now that the world is opening up a little again, are you making vacation plans? I am so ready to start really traveling again! I get a lot of inspiration when I travel and always come home refreshed and filled with new creative ideas.  Last month, we traveled to Seattle. It's one of our favorite local vacation spots. It's only a three hour drive from our house so we've made the trip up a few times since we moved here. It holds a special place in my heart because it was my first introduction to my (new) home state. The first time I visited I never imagined I would one day live in this evergreen paradise. Seattle is different than it was when I first visited. It's grown (maybe too much) but it still has it's charms. If you are looking for a place to vacation this summer, where you can escape the heat, Seattle is a great choice. Here are my recommendations for a visit. Inspiring Things to See The Space Needle It's a tourist cliche, but you have to do it. We went u...