Skip to main content

The Sugar Thief

Sugar Thief sugar dish sugar spoon on table with sugar spilled around it

I should have known Stacy was going to be trouble the day I watched in horror as she sprinkled sugar onto her bowl of macaroni and cheese. Anyone with that much of a sweet tooth should not have been allowed within fifty feet of one’s sugar collection.

I've moved to Substack. To finish reading this personal essay, click here.


Comments

  1. This was a really great piece of writing, Laura!
    I don't remember the sugar packets that way, but I love that you had a collection like that. I had collections in my day and I would make up stories just like you described.
    Thanks for the excellent read that started my day! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to hear about your collections sometime!

      Delete
  2. Laura this was beautiful and I absolutely resonated with it! My parents also had friends whose children I abhorred but was forced to play with. I can remember the feeling as they ripped through precious toys, taunting and cruel. Your story brought that back yes but also reminded me the simple joys we had. The joys of a small collection of seemingly nothing. The joys of sitting for hours with our things, our precious treasures. Lovely-really brightened my day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First, I humbly and profusely apologize for these and any parenting sins I may have committed. Next, I remember discovering this desecration and my heart breaking with you and for you. You were an extraordinary curator who did not deserve the carnage!
      A hitch in my heart as I read this even after all these years.

      Delete
    2. I loved my collections! Whenever I met a new friend, I always asked them what they collected!

      Delete
  3. What a lovely story - I can feel your childhood heartbreak over the destruction of your beautiful sugar packets. I love the asterisks at the bottom! And how fun to see your Pinterest board of lovely packets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know you liked all the footnotes. I didn't know if they would be well-received. I'm glad you enjoyed them as the little extras I meant them to be!

      Delete
  4. Nicely done. I can picture the whole thing. Now I wonder...whatever happened to Stacy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I have another story about her that was VERY exciting. I may need to share that next. It's funny-I never considered her a huge part of my childhood, but she sure is proving to be inspiration for my writing.

      Delete
  5. Oh goodness, I remember this feeling EXACTLY as I had a "friendship" like this as a teenager and it was awful. Great writing Laura.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems a lot of people were pushed into friendships they didn't want to be in! Thanks for your kind words about my writing. I've really been working to improve as a writer and it's always nice to hear the work is paying off.

      Delete
  6. I loved reading this and gasped when Stacy committed such delinquency. I would've had a mental breakdown right then and there, lol!
    Ever since 8-year-old me felt betrayed after catching her friends playing with her beloved My Little Pony collection (with their dirty and chalk-stained hands from playing outside all day), I became stingier than Stingy from Lazy Town himself.
    I know it doesn't compare to actually losing the sugar packets, but the heartbreak felt just the same; I still hate when people take my stuff without permission 😭.

    p.d: I love your writing! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! Your poor Little Ponies! And thank you for the kind words about my writing!

      Delete
  7. I hadn’t realized sugar packet art was a thing. Sorry your collection was treated that way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, it's funny to think back on all the playdates I had with kids I didn't like, simply because our parents wanted to get together. And you're so right- now it's the opposite. I have all sorts of adult "friends" that I wouldn't normally get together with if it weren't for the fact that our kids want to play together. Hmm! Anyway... you poor thing! Your little girl self must have been so devastated. You're irreplaceable collection was just a bunch of sugar to Stacy- she probably didn't even notice the different pictures on the packets. I'm looking forward to the next Stacy story!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Roasted Tomatoes and An Empty Nest

          We are in the sunset days of child-rearing. Our daughter is now a busy senior in high school, with a part-time job and driver’s license. Often, there is one less face at the table, one last voice to talk about the day.      Our meals are simpler now as we no longer have to prepare healthy meals to fill a growing body. As my husband and I sit alone at the table we realize our work now is to reconnect with another, make our way back to each other. Back to the days before daughter came into our lives and the hours of our days were filled with feeding and nurturing her.      Now we turn towards nursing our aging bodies which, as it turns out, need much less food than growing bodies. We are moving away from large meals. Often, I place simple meals on the dinner table along with small glasses of wine to remind us that now we can fully sink back into the early days of our marriage.      Only it isn’t l...

Tuesdays are for Writing

I was thinking about how much I enjoy reading about other people’s days. Do you? I hope so, because I’m going to share some of my days with you over the next few weeks. We’ll start with Tuesdays since they are my favorite day of the week. I set Tuesdays aside to write most of the day. No loads of laundry. No errands. Morning The day starts like all my days lately. I wake up at 7:00am. My husband brings me a coffee in bed while a journal for 30 minutes. I recently started setting a timer for my morning journaling because I could spend hours going round and round on the page, ruminating. By setting a timer, I get what I need to release out, but don’t circle down the drain. After that, I get up and immediately go and exercise for 20 minutes. Right now, I’m loving Pahla B’s workouts. They are quick and meant to be for 50+ women. After the workout, I do a 10-minute mediation and am ready to start to my day. I dress and shower and then head to breakfast. Breakfast is the only meal I...

Building a Cookbook Library

I collect cookbooks.  I know I could look-up just about any recipe online, but I can't give up my cookbooks. I love sitting down with a stack of cookbooks and planning a holiday meal or dinner party. Sometimes, if I'm feeling bored or anxious, I'll pull a favorite cookbook off the shelf and just read it. I love the photos. I love to daydream about making the dishes. Sometimes they inspire me so much I get up and bake something. To me, cookbooks are so much better than cooking blogs. Is it just me or have they gotten impossible to navigate? First there's the pop-up ads that always seem to crash the website at the very moment I'm rushing to check how long the brownies are supposed to bake. By the time I reload the website, I have burnt bricks of chocolate. I also hate the long, drawn-out stories before I get to the actual recipe. Don't get me wrong. I love a good story behind a recipe. Heck, when I share my recipes, I usually give you a story. What I hate about mo...

The Garden Through the Years-June

This is our sixth year gardening. It's been a journey, every year we learn a little more. The garden has not only taught us how to grow plants, but also how to have patience and hope. It's taught me the healing power of nature. It has helped my husband and I grow our marriage through planning the garden and working side by side. It's inspired me creatively. Every year, I usually share a monthly update of my garden during the summer months. I'll continue the tradition this year, but I am also planning to share the garden's growth over the past six years. I'll show you what it looked like each month over the years. We started our garden in 2017, about 10 months after we moved to the Pacific Northwest.  My husband built our raised beds and we put up temporary fencing around the perimeter to keep the deer out. It was cumbersome to get in and out of the garden and it didn't deter the deer or the bunnies. They found a way in regardless. We grew tomatoes (too many)...

Curiosity and Experimentation in a Writing Practice

  Experimentation is a big part of my life. When I work on my visual art, I always strive to find new techniques to improve my work and make it more interesting. When I cook, I try new recipes, tweak old ones, and use new ingredients. The list of experiments goes on and on. Now I try to bring that same air of curiosity to my writing practice. My Writing History When I first started writing, many years ago (before computers! gasp!) I wrote my first drafts in longhand, in journals then they would get typed up. Eventually, I moved to a word processor, which allowed for some editing on screens but I usually stuck to handwriting to start. Computers came along and it took me awhile to write directly into a Word document. I think I finally crossed over into writing my drafts electronically around the time my blogging began in earnest. But now, as I’ve begun my journey to take my writing more seriously, and am working on writing an actual book, I’ve found that I have gone back to h...

Finding Your Purpose in Midlife

For the past few years, I have been struggling to figure out what I am going to do with the next stage of my life. I closed my business, and my daughter will be leaving for college in a year and a half. A new season of my life is dawning and I am feeling lost. The last time I felt like this was when my daughter was a toddler. I was winding down my career as a business consultant, looking for ways to live that allowed me to be the primary caregiver for my daughter and still feel fulfilled. It was an uncomfortable time, and I spent the first two years of her life flailing around, trying to find my purpose. The thing that saved me, that set my life back on track all those years ago, was reading The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron . I worked through the twelve-week program and came out of it an artist. It is fair to say that it completely changed my life and served me well for a good fifteen years. Now here I am again, feeling another momentous change is on the horizon and I am unsur...

Sketchbook Musings

       I sometimes wonder what my grandchildren will think if they flip through my sketchbooks?       When they pick-up my Botanical Wonder Sketchbook will they see that I was an avid gardener, deeply in love with nature? Will they marvel at my account of almanac-like posts and see a personal account of climate change?      When they flip through my Recipe Sketchbooks, they will see the Ambrosia recipe I wrote down and illustrated, based on my great-grandmother's recipe. Will they be inspired by notes on our family tradition Taco Nights? Or maybe they will already have Taco Nights and realize where the tradition started.      When they look at my Artist Sketchbooks, they will see that I designed a line of rubber stamps, based on my love of tea and gardens, and notes for some of my embroidery designs. Will they be inspired to learn how to embroider or explore their own creativity?      When they look at...

Melting Reading Watching

Want to know the best way to bring on a heat wave? Blog about the lovely summer weather you are experiencing... Melting A week of heat is just breaking here and I've fallen back out of love with summer. I think I may need to move Iceland if I have any hope of truly embracing the season.  The good thing about being locked up in one's house for a week, fans carefully organized around oneself, air conditioning blasting, is that you get a lot of reading done. Since this is the year that I'm working on becoming a better writer, I've been reading more. I credit the fact that I can write to my insatiable reading habit. If you read any book about the art of writing, reading is usually touted as one of the ways to become a better writer. I patiently explain this concept to my husband and daughter whenever they find me in the middle of the day, draped over a couch, iced tea in hand, reading (instead of doing laundry or making their lunch). I'm working I announce. And I'...

Ghosts of Christmas Past

One of the best Christmas gifts I ever received was a Sindy doll’s dining set from my father’s sister, my Aunt Kathy. Aunt Kathy always bought my sisters and I the best presents. She had three boys and I think she relished the chance to hit the girl’s section of the toy store. Many of my most beloved gifts were from Aunt Kathy. I mean, she’s the one who bought me The Barbie Beauty Center Styling Head too. Oh, I can still smell it-the plastic, sweet smell. I remember the way the powdery, blue eye shadow glided onto Barbie’s perfect eyelids, smooth as silk. And how her hair, always satin blonde, immediately became tangled, never to be like new again. But back to Sindy’s dining room set. A creamy, French provincial style. It was made for Sindy dolls but at my house, Barbie took it over. Barbie was kind of priviledged and tended to think the world revolved around her so she often furnished her life from the spoils she stole from other dolls. She took my Jody doll’s dog and, worse,...

A Seattle Travel Guide for Writers, Readers, and Artists

Now that the world is opening up a little again, are you making vacation plans? I am so ready to start really traveling again! I get a lot of inspiration when I travel and always come home refreshed and filled with new creative ideas.  Last month, we traveled to Seattle. It's one of our favorite local vacation spots. It's only a three hour drive from our house so we've made the trip up a few times since we moved here. It holds a special place in my heart because it was my first introduction to my (new) home state. The first time I visited I never imagined I would one day live in this evergreen paradise. Seattle is different than it was when I first visited. It's grown (maybe too much) but it still has it's charms. If you are looking for a place to vacation this summer, where you can escape the heat, Seattle is a great choice. Here are my recommendations for a visit. Inspiring Things to See The Space Needle It's a tourist cliche, but you have to do it. We went u...