Skip to main content

Fridays Are For Art

Milagros embroidery by Laura Bray

Those of you who have been with me since the beginning, the ones who have watched me go from mixed media art to craft design to watercolor to embroidery, may wonder if I have abandoned all visual art.

I haven’t. I just stopped sharing it. 

At first, my lack of sharing came from a place of hurt and vulnerability. All those years I spent trying to make a business from my visual art came to nothing. Although I wrote bravely about closing Laura Bray Designs, it felt like a profound and humbling blow. My creativity teetered.

Then something amazing happened. I began to create just for the sake of creating. Now I sit down at least once a week and make art just for pure pleasure. There is no wondering if it will sell. There is no rushing because I need to put something pretty to look at on my Instagram feed.

I just create.

I make mistakes. A lot of mistakes.

I create the same thing repeatedly until I land in a place of complete originality. This is easier now that I am no longer scrolling and being influenced by other’s work. Ideas are 100% mine. There is no comparison.

That’s not to say that I don’t look at art. I do. I visit creative blogs, take online classes, and watch YouTube videos. But this is a much smaller amount of influence than the hundreds of images I was looking at daily when I was on social media. All those images would cause me to freeze up. I would not only waste time, looking at everyone else’s creative output, but also overwhelm myself. I would sign-off from a scrolling session feeling too exhausted to go into my own studio and work.

I have discovered that limiting my exposure to other artists’ creativity inspires me. I don’t waste time. I am intentional about what I see. “Ah!”, I say to myself, “I will go visit Sandi Hester’s YouTube channel and watch an episode of her Studio Vlog while I eat my breakfast.” When the video is over, I rinse my dishes and head into my studio, feeling the tingle of creativity. Thanks to Sandi, I have an idea for a new way to work that I want to try out.

Do you see that subtle difference? I don’t go into the studio thinking I want to paint something that looks like Sandi's work. Instead, I go into the studio and apply her creative process to one of my current embroidery projects. The comparison is diffused. I think this is the way we were supposed to use technology to inspire each other. We just got lost along the way.

I have also learned to make time for my creativity. It is no longer a JOB, so I no longer berate myself for not working on my art 40 hours a week. (Which never happened.) Instead, like my writing days, I have an online art date with my friend, Heather Vo, every Friday from 10am to 12pm. It runs the same way my writing dates run, with 15 minutes of chatting and 45 of working. We do two rounds. We are both better for it in the end.

I no longer share the stages of my work either. I hold the ideas and iterations close to my heart. They are private. When I would hurriedly share an idea, before it was finished evolving, I would end up abandoning it too soon. Critical feedback would hurt the process as would positive feedback. One way or another, I would think that it was either an unsuccessful piece of work or that it was finished. I would abandon it, never pushing it past the ugly duckling stage. I would call it finished when I could have pushed it from good to great.  

When I was younger my mother used to tell me what other people thought of me was none of my business. That’s proven to be true in life and art. Now that I have tuned out the other voices, my work is more original, and the creative process is more satisfying that it has ever been.

I think this serves me well, this lesson in focusing on myself above looking for outside validation. I won’t say it’s easy, but my private, weekly practice has certainly helped.

Tell me, if you could only look for inspiration from three other people, who would you choose? Share in the comments and then do a little experiment: Spend a week only looking at the three resources you listed. I would be interested to hear how this experiment affects your creative process so be sure to let me know!

Comments

  1. Laura, this post has touched me and made me think about things so much. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings. I have so many of the same feelings about my art practice. As for finding inspiration only from three other people for a week - that would be difficult! If that were my only choice, I think I'd go to the library and check out three different books by different authors and spend the week slowly perusing them. Perhaps one about art, one about sewing, and one about gardening - all with lots of pictures. Now I want to head to the library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are making me want to head to the library too! It's a great idea to use books to inspire yourself.

      Delete
  2. I love this post. I recently deleted my art Instagram account because I found myself worrying about not posting enough and approaching every project with the idea that it had to look good because I was going to share it. And like you, I spent a lot of time scrolling to get "inspired." I was hardly making any art of my own. I'm not quite there yet, but I am finding more freedom in artmaking. I love your approach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah. It took me awhile to get into this process. You will get there though. I'm creating more original work than I ever have. I can't wait to see what you create.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like you're in a good place with your art makimg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am Dana. How is it going for you these days?

      Delete
  4. Hi Laura. I think it can be really challenging to find the 'right' balance for oneself - in the Art world 'success' has always tended to be measured in terms of numbers of exhibitions, sales, etc - and now, with social media, by numbers of 'followers' and 'likes' as well. It's hard to resist the lure of external validation in some form or another, or to practice in a vacuum. It sounds as though you've found what works for you though - a really positive postition to be in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's such a fine line we walk. Of what to share and what not to share. I love Sandi's YouTube videos, too, but I don't want to paint like her, either. I've been unplugging more and more. My inspiration comes mostly from the garden (indoor garden in the winter) and nature. Like Michelle, I'm always going to the library and find inspiration in books, too. I have a gorgeous book checked out right now called The Photo Ark and it's making me want to play with some animal paintings in my sketchbook -- for no other reason that the pure joy of it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely, heartfelt post! My creativity bloomed as I started asking this question whenever frustrated: "Just who are you trying to impress?" When I quit trying to impress, I was free to try more experiments with the simple pleasure and fun of making.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been pulling back from social media. I do think I can get so sucked into it that time is gone and I've created nothing. Just recently I am giving myself a challenge of 100 days of watercolor botanicals on postcards. Not to do anything with them so much as to make me create. And create what feels my soul. I will be posting them but just to make me commit to painting and taking photos of them and seeing how they look.
    I like your online art date. How did you start that? I think I want to do that also. It will keep us creating.
    Thank you again for your blog. I am always looking for the new post. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for writing this. I'm still working full time, but would like to be the creative person I used to be. I kept telling myself the research is important. But hours of (addictive) scrolling isn't making more me creative! Now I know what I should do! Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  9. Our Friday dates mean the world to me! You are always inspiring me creatively, but the friendship, mentorship and support that I experience in our meetups is so meaningful. I treasure our time together on Friday mornings - it is a highlight I look forward to every week!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Tuesdays are for Writing

I was thinking about how much I enjoy reading about other people’s days. Do you? I hope so, because I’m going to share some of my days with you over the next few weeks. We’ll start with Tuesdays since they are my favorite day of the week. I set Tuesdays aside to write most of the day. No loads of laundry. No errands. Morning The day starts like all my days lately. I wake up at 7:00am. My husband brings me a coffee in bed while a journal for 30 minutes. I recently started setting a timer for my morning journaling because I could spend hours going round and round on the page, ruminating. By setting a timer, I get what I need to release out, but don’t circle down the drain. After that, I get up and immediately go and exercise for 20 minutes. Right now, I’m loving Pahla B’s workouts. They are quick and meant to be for 50+ women. After the workout, I do a 10-minute mediation and am ready to start to my day. I dress and shower and then head to breakfast. Breakfast is the only meal I...

Roasted Tomatoes and An Empty Nest

          We are in the sunset days of child-rearing. Our daughter is now a busy senior in high school, with a part-time job and driver’s license. Often, there is one less face at the table, one last voice to talk about the day.      Our meals are simpler now as we no longer have to prepare healthy meals to fill a growing body. As my husband and I sit alone at the table we realize our work now is to reconnect with another, make our way back to each other. Back to the days before daughter came into our lives and the hours of our days were filled with feeding and nurturing her.      Now we turn towards nursing our aging bodies which, as it turns out, need much less food than growing bodies. We are moving away from large meals. Often, I place simple meals on the dinner table along with small glasses of wine to remind us that now we can fully sink back into the early days of our marriage.      Only it isn’t l...

Building a Cookbook Library

I collect cookbooks.  I know I could look-up just about any recipe online, but I can't give up my cookbooks. I love sitting down with a stack of cookbooks and planning a holiday meal or dinner party. Sometimes, if I'm feeling bored or anxious, I'll pull a favorite cookbook off the shelf and just read it. I love the photos. I love to daydream about making the dishes. Sometimes they inspire me so much I get up and bake something. To me, cookbooks are so much better than cooking blogs. Is it just me or have they gotten impossible to navigate? First there's the pop-up ads that always seem to crash the website at the very moment I'm rushing to check how long the brownies are supposed to bake. By the time I reload the website, I have burnt bricks of chocolate. I also hate the long, drawn-out stories before I get to the actual recipe. Don't get me wrong. I love a good story behind a recipe. Heck, when I share my recipes, I usually give you a story. What I hate about mo...

Sketchbook Musings

       I sometimes wonder what my grandchildren will think if they flip through my sketchbooks?       When they pick-up my Botanical Wonder Sketchbook will they see that I was an avid gardener, deeply in love with nature? Will they marvel at my account of almanac-like posts and see a personal account of climate change?      When they flip through my Recipe Sketchbooks, they will see the Ambrosia recipe I wrote down and illustrated, based on my great-grandmother's recipe. Will they be inspired by notes on our family tradition Taco Nights? Or maybe they will already have Taco Nights and realize where the tradition started.      When they look at my Artist Sketchbooks, they will see that I designed a line of rubber stamps, based on my love of tea and gardens, and notes for some of my embroidery designs. Will they be inspired to learn how to embroider or explore their own creativity?      When they look at...

Curiosity and Experimentation in a Writing Practice

  Experimentation is a big part of my life. When I work on my visual art, I always strive to find new techniques to improve my work and make it more interesting. When I cook, I try new recipes, tweak old ones, and use new ingredients. The list of experiments goes on and on. Now I try to bring that same air of curiosity to my writing practice. My Writing History When I first started writing, many years ago (before computers! gasp!) I wrote my first drafts in longhand, in journals then they would get typed up. Eventually, I moved to a word processor, which allowed for some editing on screens but I usually stuck to handwriting to start. Computers came along and it took me awhile to write directly into a Word document. I think I finally crossed over into writing my drafts electronically around the time my blogging began in earnest. But now, as I’ve begun my journey to take my writing more seriously, and am working on writing an actual book, I’ve found that I have gone back to h...

The Sugar Thief

I should have known Stacy was going to be trouble the day I watched in horror as she sprinkled sugar onto her bowl of macaroni and cheese. Anyone with that much of a sweet tooth should not have been allowed within fifty feet of one’s sugar collection. I've moved to Substack. To finish reading this personal essay, click here .

What Lies Beneath

  Since I last wrote about my garden , a lot has happened. And a lot hasn’t happened. We went from a wet spring to a few sparse weeks of beautiful summer weather, and then roared into blistering heat. My garden, unable to contend with Mother Nature’s mood swings, had suffered. Between heat waves, I would wander into my garden and, instead of looking to see what was growing, I looked for destruction. Which crop failed this week? The beds, usually lush and beautiful, have big bare spots where the vegetables failed to grow. Our potato plants, which seemed to be the only crop that survived the wet spring, had dried and brown foliage, leaving me to wonder if my Irish blood somehow invited blight. While the garden withered so did we. Heat, illness, and general malaise made us wither almost as much as our garden. In the midst of this ennui, my husband and I trudged out to face our wilting, seemingly dead garden, ready to pull the dead plants, and to grieve over the failed plot. ...

Finding Your Purpose in Midlife

For the past few years, I have been struggling to figure out what I am going to do with the next stage of my life. I closed my business, and my daughter will be leaving for college in a year and a half. A new season of my life is dawning and I am feeling lost. The last time I felt like this was when my daughter was a toddler. I was winding down my career as a business consultant, looking for ways to live that allowed me to be the primary caregiver for my daughter and still feel fulfilled. It was an uncomfortable time, and I spent the first two years of her life flailing around, trying to find my purpose. The thing that saved me, that set my life back on track all those years ago, was reading The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron . I worked through the twelve-week program and came out of it an artist. It is fair to say that it completely changed my life and served me well for a good fifteen years. Now here I am again, feeling another momentous change is on the horizon and I am unsur...

The Garden Through the Years-June

This is our sixth year gardening. It's been a journey, every year we learn a little more. The garden has not only taught us how to grow plants, but also how to have patience and hope. It's taught me the healing power of nature. It has helped my husband and I grow our marriage through planning the garden and working side by side. It's inspired me creatively. Every year, I usually share a monthly update of my garden during the summer months. I'll continue the tradition this year, but I am also planning to share the garden's growth over the past six years. I'll show you what it looked like each month over the years. We started our garden in 2017, about 10 months after we moved to the Pacific Northwest.  My husband built our raised beds and we put up temporary fencing around the perimeter to keep the deer out. It was cumbersome to get in and out of the garden and it didn't deter the deer or the bunnies. They found a way in regardless. We grew tomatoes (too many)...

Melting Reading Watching

Want to know the best way to bring on a heat wave? Blog about the lovely summer weather you are experiencing... Melting A week of heat is just breaking here and I've fallen back out of love with summer. I think I may need to move Iceland if I have any hope of truly embracing the season.  The good thing about being locked up in one's house for a week, fans carefully organized around oneself, air conditioning blasting, is that you get a lot of reading done. Since this is the year that I'm working on becoming a better writer, I've been reading more. I credit the fact that I can write to my insatiable reading habit. If you read any book about the art of writing, reading is usually touted as one of the ways to become a better writer. I patiently explain this concept to my husband and daughter whenever they find me in the middle of the day, draped over a couch, iced tea in hand, reading (instead of doing laundry or making their lunch). I'm working I announce. And I'...